Sanctity of Human Life
The Sanctity of Human Life program focuses on raising awareness of the plight of the unborn and strengthening existing ministries that promote sexual purity and life-affirming decisions for young women facing an unplanned pregnancy.
The Florida Baptist Children’s Homes works in coordination with more than 200 pregnancy resource centers across Florida to help young women experiencing an unplanned pregnancy.
“The importance of ministries like ours is that Christ gives us the love and hope and truth to share with girls and families that are often times desperately needing to make choices and decisions. The clients also are often surprised that God’s way is not man’s way, so we have the opportunity to share the Gospel every day with many that are finding the joy of the Lord through His love.”
Sandy Epperson, Former Director
Pregnancy Care Center, Orlando
The Need and Response for Pregnancy Resource Centers
The Roe v. Wade decision on January 22, 1973 and subsequent Supreme Court rulings have legalized abortion through all nine months of pregnancy. In the past 35 years approximately 48 million children have died by abortion. Florida is the third largest abortion provider in the nation; every day about 280 babies die in abortion clinics across our state. Millions of women and men are suffering with the guilt, shame and regret of abortion; many are in our churches. The Centers for Disease Control report that 80% of abortions are performed on single women.
Pregnancy Resource/Care Centers (PRC) have proven effective in the battle for life. PRCs offer free pregnancy tests, benevolence ministry, and education about abortion, adoption and abstinence. PRCs offer caring relationships to clients in need of a hand to hold a shoulder to cry on. Most importantly, PRCs talk with clients about a personal relationship with Jesus Christ; He alone can meet all their needs and give them hope and a future.
Following is a list of the response to the great need for pregnancy care ministry.
- God’s love for His creation and His command to care for each other.
- Our responsibilities to be salt and light in a corroded and dark world.
- Evangelism, the command of Christ to go into all the world and make disciples.
- Practical ministry: Jesus commended those who visited the sick, those in prison, when they gave food or clothing to the needy.
- Defending the unborn, the most defenseless and fragile of all people. Proverbs exhorts us to rescue those being led away to slaughter.
- Promoting marriage and especially fatherhood as God’s plan for rearing children in a God-honoring way.
- Promoting abstinence until marriage and equipping teens and singles to choose moral purity.
- Post-abortion Bible studies as a healing instrument in the lives of those suffering from an abortion.
To establish a Pregnancy Resource Center in Florida
- Pray: Is this God’s will for you, your church, and/or your association?
- Talk with your pastor to determine if the church is supportive. Place articles in the church bulletin to find other like-minded church members.
- For personal consultation and more information, contact Mary Lou Hendry, FBCH Sanctity of Human Life Director at Marylou.Hendry@FBCHomes.org.